I am linking up with Marcia at Marcia’s Healthy Slice, Erika at MCM Mama runs and Patty at My no guilt life for Tuesdays on the run. I am going off topic today as I want to talk about how much a year in running cost me.
When I signed up for the 2016 Paris marathon about a year ago, I was looking forward to the adventure. While I had been running faithfully and consistently for many years, I hadn’t been doing many long distances, nor training seriously. So when I signed up for the race, I knew that the next year would be different. With more time spent running and training, I knew that I would also be spending more money on my running
So for one year, I tracked everything I spent that fed my habit… clothes, fuel, race registrations, travel to destination races, books.
My passion cost me 3 331 Euros (3 764 dollars)
So here are the details, of (in Euros, exchange rate = 1 euro = 1.13 USD) between April 2015 and April 2016 :
Races (based on when I paid for them, not when I ran them) : 757 Euros (855 dollars)
- Paris Marathon : 100 Euros
- Marolles 10K : 8 Euros
- Vincennes castle race : 15 Euros
- Paris 12th race : 12 Euros
- LLBean 10K : 25 Euros
- Nogent Baltard 10K : 11 Euros
- Vincennes Half Marathon : 25 Euros
- Four Castles race : 20 Euros
- Paris Half Marathon : 55 Euros
- Millau 24K : 39 Euros
- Nice Monacco Half Marathon : 18 Euros
- Versailles 15K : 33 Euros
- Vincennes 10K : 17 Euros
- Charenton foot race : 19 Euros
- NYC marathon (lottery + registration) : 10 + 350
Travel to a destination race : 570 Euros (644 dollars)
Clothes, shoes, equipment : 1 512 Euros (1 708 dollars)
- Balega, Feetures socks : 90 Euros + received 2 pairs as a gift
- Compression socks : 40 Euros + received one pair as a gift
- Sneakers : 3 pairs : 270 Euros (one full price and 2 pair on sale)
- Running clothes (Athleta, TJMAxx, expos…) : 600 + 200 Euros of clothes in gifts
- Nuun + Cliff bars : 100 Euros
- Handheld water bottle : 40 Euros
- Fanny pack : 25 Euros
- One year permanent TopChrono time chip : 19 Euros
- Book “Racing Weight” : 15 Euros
- Running journal : 17 Euros
- Two marathon books : 30 Euros
- IMC scale (huge waste of money) : 50 Euros
- Interval timer : 20 Euros
- Runner’s rest challenge : 40 Euros
- Self massage / foam rollers : 50 Euros
- Anti chafing cream : 15 Euros
Doctors / medical care : 492 Euros (556 dollars although only the sports massage is really paid for because the rest is covered by insurance)
- Orthodics (visit + insoles) : 200 Euros
- Sports massage : 150 Euros
- Osteopath : 2 visits : 120 Euros total
- Doctor’s visit for medical certificate : 22 Euros
Some thoughts …
- 3 331 Euros / 3 764 dollars is a lot of money.
- I am very pragmatic when it comes to spending money, so as much as I would like, I don’t over do. Or at least I didn’t think I did until I looked back at the past year !
- As I live in an apartment, my storage space is limited, so I don’t have the closet space to store more clothes. This probably caused me to buy fewer clothes than I would have liked.
- I think I shifted my money spend from ”regular” clothes / shoes / bags to running, so I don’t think my spend went up.
- I think I spent too much on race registrations. I sign up way in advance to secure a spot but finally, I didn’t do all of them due to travel, or sickness, or marathon training.
- I didn’t spend enough on medical care. I would have liked more massages.
Do you ever think about how much you spend on your favorite activity ?