After a week of travel to Mexico for work, stopping to see my parents in Orlando, I started last week in Fort Lauderdale for a conference, before flying back to France on Thursday. I love Florida, and the heat and humidity made things vacation-y like, and not too much ”work like”.
My hotel was right on the beach :
…which meant anytime we had a longish break, I would go sit in the sand !
I NEVER got sick of the view. Despite it being spring break, I didn’t see many college kids and there was room for everyone. (I had all these stereotypical images of spring break in Fort Lauderdale, with drunk college students and wet t-shirt contests. Didn’t see either.)
One of the highlights of my stay was a sports massage. I have been wanting one but quite nervous about the pain (yes, I can be a wuss). I was worried it would make me sore and I wouldn’t be able to run for a couple days. But my colleague was so over the top about how wonderful her massage was, I bit the bullet, and scarified myself for a couple hours in the spa.
The massage was amazing, a combination of deep tissue and stretching. It hurt like hell but was bearable. The therapist was not a softy, working through the knots in my glutes and upper back, as well as rubbing my IT band. Holy cow !
With lots of discipline I was able to keep up my marathon training :
- Monday : nothing (conference).
- Tuesday : 60 minutes on the treadmill
- Wednesday : upper body weights + 40 minute run where I started on the treadmill then finished running along the ocean once the sun came up
- Thursday : travel / arrive home
- Friday : 15 minutes of ab work, 15 minutes upper body + 6 km run walk. I felt very clunky/clumbsy running. My gait was off and I think the jet lag wasn’t helping.
- Saturday : Rest !
- Sunday : this was my last major run of my training. I had 12 x 1 mile repeats at marathon pace on the plan, with 5 minute walking in between. I converted into kilometers and did 19 x 1 km repeats with a 3 minute walk in between each. It.felt.amazing. I hit practically all of my paces, I had no pain what so ever, no major niggle, and NO muscle tightening or cramping, not even of my right shin which gets very tight very easily, even more so with speed work. I was praising the massage therapist the entire 3 hours ! Not sure if it is a coincidence but my muscles felt GREAT. This run really boosted my confidence.
It was cold, around 35 degrees, but no complaints ! So much better than the Floridian heat & humidity.
I spent the rest of the day cooking, doing laundry, cleaning, with lots of stretching and napping thrown into the mix. I was also very grateful for a home cooked meal.
Now, taper has started. Two weeks until the big day ! And be sure to check out my Runfessions post this coming Friday…..I have some things to runfess !
I am linking up with Holly and Tricia at Hoho runs and Misssippipiddlin for their Weekly Wrap. Be sure to head on over and offer some positive support to the participating bloggers ! There are more and more people every week with fun, new blogs to discover.
How was your week ? Did you do any racing ? Ever had a sports massage ?