This past week, although I was back to work, seemed almost too calm. Paris was empty, work was slow, there was no line at the supermarket and there were no traffic jams.
School starts next Tuesday, and by then everyone will be back in droves. Its like a spell comes to the city and instantaneously fills it with people. I am still benefitting from my vacation, feeling particularly rested and calm, but not sure how long it will last. September is always crazy.
So, this is how I wound down the month of August :
- Monday : back to work
- Tuesday : favored friends over fitness
- Wednesday : 8,5 km run. Nobody was out. It was actually kind of spooky to see so few people.
- Thursday : 30 minute tabata workout (with lots of jump squats, high knees, jumping jacks, push ups and planks) + 10 minutes upper body weights. Happy to be back to the gym.
- Friday : very sore from Thursday’s workout. Stretched and foam rolled. A lot.
- Saturday : still very sore from Thursday… and the day was dominated by Ikea
- Sunday : 6,5 km run with adjusted orthodics. It felt great to be back to my regular running park and there were lots of people this weekend. A sure sign that Parisians are back.
The 2 pictures are from Wednesday (no people) and Sunday (the people are back !)
Life : here are a few things that went on. (I actually felt the week was calm but when I got through writing this, I realize how much I actually did)
My BIL, SIL and children are heading back to Africa after 2 months in France. We had to take our traditional photo of the cousins, ourselves, and good bye photo :
I went into Paris on Saturday to check out a running store I had never been to. I walked by Notre Dame and it was too beautiful to not take a picture.
Saturday was also filled with a trip to Ikea and putting together a new desk and new bed for my youngest daughter. We had gotten my older daughter a new bed back in July and we hadn’t yet had the time to do the same for my youngest. They are a freshman and junior, so they needed something more age appropriate that bunk beds. It took so long because I had tried selling the bed frame, dresser, desk and armoire but no takers. I finally found some friends that needed furniture so gave everything away except the beds. Before and after photos :
My husband and I went to our summer home to spend Sunday afternoon. We had a new gate installed and had not seen it yet :
And finally, … I love this cat picture. He was keeping me company one day when I worked from home. He sleeps on his paws, so cute :
If you missed it, I wrote a new post about preparing for my marathon. Official training starts in October, but you can find the latest ramblings about it here : Paris Marathon minus 7 months.
How was your week ? Has the craziness of the back to school season started ?