This week has been a bit crazy. We are redoing our kitchen. It has been gutted, painted (but not finished), retiled (but not finished) and the cabinets and appliances need to be installed. This started last Saturday and will go on for at least another week.
I am very lucky to be getting a new kitchen even if it has completely thrown off my eating habits and my body is not appreciating it much. Slowly but surely. Here is the old kitchen :
Old and new tile :
However, let’s look at the bright side of the situation :
- You can actually do a lot in a microwave : heat up vegetables (canned lentils, canned green beans), soup, frozen fish (cooks up in 2 minutes), scrambled eggs
- It’s a great excuse to “eat what you want” : one night I had bread & cheese, some ham & cucumbers, grated carrots, ice cream
- You discover new dishes : I rarely buy frozen meals (lasagna, shepherd’s pie) but I’ve eaten these twice this week. Even though I won’t make it a daily habit, I was pleasantly surprised.
- Canned veggies are really good and there is a lot of choice
- We have discovered some new restaurants in our town
- You save time in food prep and cooking.
- You don’t have to do dishes (you get to use paper plates)
- You can discover things that you’d forgotten about in your cabinets : peanut butter !
… and yes, I am getting a new kitchen.
We still have one more week and then I will have mastered cooking in the microwave will be able to review all the restaurants in my town !
What do you like to cook in the microwave ? What have you discovered in your cabinets that you had forgotten you had ? Could you live without a stove and stove top ?
You might also like :