It was my husband’s birthday this weekend, Saturday exactly. As it fell on a weekend night, I decided a party might be fun, to celebrate it on the exact day of his birthday.
So about 10 days before I contacted his brother, sister and all his good friends. People usually plan well in advance and its very rare at the last minute to be available, so I wasn’t very optimistic. Whoa, was I wrong. Everyone was free ! then I realized, OMG, how was I going to cook for 17 people !!
Everything came together perfectly…
I called two of my sister in laws for their opinion… they helped me decide the menu and did some cooking.
- Italian appetizers : tomate / mozzarella / basil leaves, sun dried tomates / salami, prosciutto/spinach, marinated veggies, ricotta / spinach… I did get a caterer because didn’t have the time, nor energy to do the appetizers. And olives, to keep with the Italian / Mediterranean theme.
- Main dish : roast beef that I cooked in the morning so we could eat cold. My sister in law made a pesto sauce, and we had it with salad and a Tian (zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant). I love my butcher !
- Cheese plate : pecorino with pepper, gorgonzola, homemade brie with walnuts, goat cheese… and two others but I can not remember their names. I like cheese but am not at all a connosseur.
- Dessert : a dessert that is in my husband’s family for many many years. Sorry, no picture.
- My husband decided to go fishing, what luck ! He left at 7:30 only to come home late. And, there was major traffic, so he actually got home AFTER everyone arrived.
A wonderful evening with friends and family!
Have you ever thrown a surprise party ? Do you like planning parties ?