In preparation for Paris Marathon 2016 I have been recapping what I have been doing each month to anticipate and experiment, or highlight things I have bought or learned. This will be my first marathon so it is not only about the race, but about the entire experience.
If you missed my first recaps, you can find them here :
September was a bit crazy with the back to school activities and getting back into a routine after 2 chaotic months. Here are the highlights :
1. I have been running more regularly, slowly upping frequency & mileage. We have had gorgeous fall weather, so I have been taking advantage of it :
2. I adjusted my orthodics. All summer my right shin muscle would tighten every time I ran. So my podiatrist made a slight adjustment and its 95% better. With that modification the other muscles / tendons / ligaments need an adjustment period. So it took about 3 weeks for everything to feel right again. And no more shin muscle tightness. Thank you Dr. Reboul!
3. I had two races : La Parisienne 6,7 K with my colleagues, and Paris Versailles 16k. I improved my time in La Parisienne by one minute 20 seconds over last year. For Paris Versailles, it was the first time I was racing it, so I just enjoyed it. I was scared of pushing myself too much before marathon training officially starts.
4. I bought some new running clothes. A new bra, which I am seriously loving, and some Athleta gear (pants, jacket & long sleeve shirt) while I was in the US. Fun pants for fall running.
5. I signed up for several races as part of my training plan, to build experience and make long runs more interesting. The Paris Half Marathon on March 6, the Four Castles race in November (I was seriously lucky to get it, it sold out in a few hours), and a race end of May 2016 on the Millau Viaduct, so I will have something to look forward to after the marathon. (photo credits from the race registration websites).
6. Runner problems ! My toe nail fell off back in the spring after my half marathon. Well, there has got to be a problem with my socks (too tight ?) or shoes (though I bought a half size bigger) because it gets really sore on long runs, despite the fact I try to prevent this from happening :
I think it is going to fall off again, a bit traumatized after the hills of Paris Versailles this past weekend.
7. I still have some questions about marathon training ! I dedicated a blog post to my outstanding questions. I would love your input !
So, my training plan officially starts October 5th ! Very excited !