I am going off Tuesdays on the Run topic this week of favorite winter cross training, to put all my last minute NY race thoughts out there. Goals, worries, preoccupations, emotions…. here goes.
Race goals :
- A goal : Finish in under 4:45.
- B goal : finish in under 5 hours. My last marathon was done in 5 hours 11 minutes in 70 degree weather. Sunday’s fall weather will hopefully help me a bit.
- C goal. Finish. Period.
What is worrying me :
- Bridges and inclines. I didn’t train on any hills. None. Zip. Nada. I had started to, but then had some issues with my Achilles tendon aching and snapping, so I backed off. I actually don’t mind hills and they do not scare me, I am just not as prepared as I probably should be.
- Not seeing my family along the course. In Paris, I saw my husband and kids 3 times and he met me at the end. As he knows the city it was easy for him to zip around on the subway and rendez-vous at our designated meeting spots. He can not do that in NY. Not knowing the city well, AND the fact that the subway is complicated, makes seeing each other several times unlikely. He will be with my brother and SIL, but still, I am not counting on necessarily seeing them. Since they kept some of my fuel, I will need to carry everything I need, just in case.
- The 3 hour wait. I am taking the bus out to Staten Island. I leave on the 7 a.m. bus, but my start time is 11:10. Ugh. Why ?
- Managing my run/walk method. It is quite easy to do generally speaking, but hard when there are lots of crowds. Anyone know if there is a specific way to signal you are going to start walking ?
- Breakfast. I need protein, as in eggs. Not sure if anything will be open at 6 a.m. Can I buy breakfast the day before ? Maybe Starbucks would be the best option for a hard boiled egg ? I avoid gluten, so a bagel is not an option.
- Dressing for the race. I HATE being cold and I know you need to bring several laters while waiting for your start. I know I will be overdressed or underdressed. I have been trying to pay close attention lately to the temps / weather I have been running in here, in order to know exactly how to dress in NY, but still, I am unsure I will get it right. One of my first races in freezing temps :
- Cramping. This happened a bit in my last marathon and I don’t know why. I am wondering if it was lack of salt ? I have never tried salt tablets and am planning on pretzels. Any thoughts ?
- Excited. The weather looks like it is going to be great and I haven’t read anything negative about this race (except the initial wait and finding friends / family AFTER).
- Positive. Many people have asked me about jet lag, but if I start the race at 11:10, that is actually 5 p.m. for me. Should be fine.
- Calm. I don’t put a lot of pressure on myself to perform, and don’t get upset if I don’t hit my time goal. This is about the experience, and so I see no point in stressing out over what could happen, might go wrong, pains or niggles I could have…
Any last minute suggestions ?