Despite traveling 6 days last week, I managed to faithfully exercise. Part of being able to do this is anticipation.
- Before I choose my hotel, I always make sure there is a gym. This can be challenging in the small hotels in Europe, but in bigger cities in Asia or the Americas, I pick a big hotel chain and they always have a gym.
- I always bring workout clothes, as well as some Woolite to hand wash, so I do not need to bring too many outfits. Some of the hotels I have stayed at actually loan you clothes / sneakers if needed. It might not be very hygienic, but in a pinch, it could work. The one I saw was sponsored by New Balance.
- The gym’s opening hours ? … always the first question I ask checking in, so I will be able to work fitness into my schedule.
I was in Moscow last week and happy I managed to fit in 3 great workouts :
- Tuesday : 30 minutes elliptical + 30 minutes on the treadmill (4 km) After sitting on a plane for hours, I needed to move my body !
- Wednesday : 45 minutes of upper body weights / abwork + 30 minutes on the treadmill, another 4 km mainly uphill
- Thursday : one hour on the treadmill (run / walk / uphill) for 7,5 km
Great view while on the treadmill :
The gym was really small, but had all of the basic (but modern) equipment. I was really tempted to go run outside. I didn’t find there was major pollution but Moscow is BIG. And Confusing. Despite having a good sense of direction, I was quite worried about getting lost. The hotel boasts several running trails near by (you can see the path along the river here) :
… and even provides a map you can take with you.
I wasn’t feeling particularly adventurous, so I stuck with the gym.
Today I have a 10K race, which starts 10 minutes from where I live. Exicted because I didn’t get to do my race 2 weeks ago due to illness.
All ready to go :
Hoping the rain holds off !
How do you fit exercise into your schedule when you travel ? Are you adventurous to go and find running spots or do you prefer the gym ?