Fitness, workouts and running are a big part of my life, and as such, an important topic of conversation among friends, family & colleagues. When I tell people I workout 3 to 4 times a week, I always get the same reactions ….
Wow, how do you have time ?
How do you work it in with all your travel ?
Indeed, I have 2 teenagers, volunteer at school, regularly travel internationally for work, have a social life but I still exercise 3 to 4 times a week. How ? Well, its not rocket science. In short, I have made it a priority in my life. Its an important investment in my health, in my future. Period.
Making fitness a priority in daily life :
1. Plan. I have a busy schedule, and if I want to be sure to exercise, I build it into my week. A date with exercise is just as important as a doctor’s appointment or a client meeting.
2. Allow for flexibility. Sometimes things just don’t work out. I am way too tired one day and getting up early just doesn’t work, or my knee is bothering me, or it is pouring rain, so I need to change plans. That’s OK. Between the pool, the gym, yoga, video tapes and running, there is always a solution to swap activities.
3. Prepare things the night before. I set things out before going to bed : shoes, gym clothes, bag, watch… when the alarm goes off I don’t think about things, I just get out of bed and immediately put on my workout gear.
4. Get up early. “Early” in France is between 6 and 7 a.m.! They gym doesn’t open until 8 or 8:30, the pool once a week at 7:30, and if I run, I only do so in daylight. So I get up, eat, have time to digest before leaving the house around 8. I am usually home between 9 & 10 and it leaves the rest of the day.
5. Be sure others know that its important to me, how it makes me feel, what I get out of it. My kids / husband know that its a priority. If we go out on Friday nights, it is after my pool session. If we go to the market Saturday morning, it is after I have run.
I also make it a priority when I travel :
1. I always pack my sneakers. Even in my smallest carry on there is one pair of work shoes & one pair of sneakers. Priorities people !
2. I choose a hotel with a gym. Before reserving a hotel I go on line and check out the equipment, the hours and if it is included in the price or not.
3. When I check into the hotel, it is also the first question I ask. Where is the gym and what are the hours ?
4. Airports are great for walking.
… for personal safety reasons I rarely venture out running around my hotel. But I have come across this website recently : International Running Tours. Can’t wait to try it out !
How do you fit in your fitness ?