I am linking up with Marcia at Marcia’s Healthy Slice, Erika at MCM Mama runs and Patty at My no guilt life for Tuesdays on the run where today’s topic is racing : one and done or the same one over and over.
If I look back at my racing history, I am a definitely a one and done gal. There are several reasons to this :
- I have a love / hate relationship with racing. I go through bouts where I will do several, and then I won’t do any for months.
- From one year to the next my motivation, objectives and preferred race distance vary. This year is the year of marathons. Last year I did a bit of everything. A few years ago ? 5K.
- I like variety. New towns, new routes, varied distances. Yeah, I bore quickly.
- My schedule is always crazy. Between my daughter’s activities, weddings, long weekends, travel….life often dictates which races I run, depending on what’s available.
- I like big races, and I can not always plan ahead, so I tend to miss registration deadlines. My next big race is June 19th, around Versailles. I have never done it, but thought it would be great to run in and around the Versailles gardens and near the chateau. I signed up a long time ago, and luckily we are around that weekend, even though it will be crazier than planned because I have family coming to Paris.
All past year one night stands :
I have only done 3 races more than once :
- Races which start 5 minutes from my house. In addition to seeking variety, I am very pragmatic = no need to drive, park, and packet pick up can’t be any easier. There is one in February and one in June which I usually do. But not always. I didn’t do the one in February of this year, and I am not planning on the one in June either as I think it is the same weekend as my Versailles race.
- I do La Parisienne 6,7K every year, but that is because I do it with my colleagues so it is more about the conviviality.
Maybe if I find the perfect race I would do it every year, but races often sell out and I can’t plan 6 months ahead of the date, else I end up signing up and not going because my schedule has changed. So, for the time being, my one night stand behavior it will be.
What about you ? What is your preference ?