The holidays have usually been a struggle for me. Waking up beginning of January, my body feeling lethargic, sugar ladened, bloated, a couple pounds heavier. But then the festivities continue into January with the Epiphany which is a big celebration here in France, and my birthday. So in short, there is a reason to celebrate, occasions to drink too much or over eat for 2 months strait. And this can have a big impact on my waistline.
So here is how I try to stay focused during the holidays and not over-indulge :
1. Allow myself to try everything but limit the portion / serving size. A small scoop is just as satisfying as a full serving.
2. Focus on what I have accomplished : how far I have come in my training, how good I feel when I feed myself whole foods and focus on an upcoming goal / short term race or event. I want to be sure my body is functioning at tip top shape. I believe it was Courtney who posted on her instagram feed a while back the following : “Don’t give up what you want long term for what feels good short term. Avoid the terrible trade”. (Lisa Terkeurst). Even more appropriate during this challenging time of the year.
3. Plan a workout the next morning after that party ! If I know I have a long run planned I don’t drink the night before and really watch what I eat. Nothing is worse than a long run and training when you feel like crap and fueled improperly.
4. Make my own. I bring a healthy dish full of veggies to the party or make a dessert with only half the sugar (I guarantee you, no one will notice). This dish of zucchini, eggplant and tomato is easy and yummy !
5. Drink sparkling water instead of champagne or drink of your choice. I find the bubbles keep it festive.
Any other suggestions for me ? What do you do to stay focused during the holidays ?