Amazing that spring is already here. This is absolutely my most favorite time of the year. The days are getting longer, the sun is higher, the temps are warmer. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is good for my half marathon next weekend !
And of course spring foods are part of this wonderful season, ….spring food being this week’s theme for the Friday Five link up ! Courtney at Eat Pray Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run always have such fun ideas ! Don’t forget to check them out !
With the long winter we have had, spring foods are not yet here in France. I try to eat foods in season as much as possible. I have this great calendar which highlights what is in season each month.
So even if things are not yet abundant in our farmer’s markets, here are my favorites :
1. White Asparagus. In France we have both green and white. I learned a couple years ago that you can ” peel” white asparagus before cooking it, just like a carrot or potato. Take off the hard outer shell, steam it and enjoy !
2. Green Asparagus. I coat it with a bit of oil and roast it.
3. Strawberries. Spain and Belgium supply most of Europe with strawberries until about mid June, where we get them from France. I know Spanish and Belgium strawberries come from a greenhouse, but I still eat them anyway. And kids love them. Sometimes we add a bit of ice cream, or whipped cream and some meringue or speculos for a bit of a crunch. Great dessert when you have guests.
4. Salads. There are a ton of varieties here in France. Batavia, Feuille de Chene, Roquette…
5. Cherries. This comes into season in June, which is still technically spring !
What is your favorite spring fruit ? Veggie ? Ever tried to peel white asparagus ?