My most favorite city in the world in Paris, which is why I have lived here over 20 years. In short, I love it because it is :
- International / multicultural. There are so many nationalities who live and visit here, one of the main reasons I wanted to live abroad.
- It is pretty. There are few sky scrapers, it is old, and simply put, the French have taste. And it comes across in all the architecture.
- It is stimulating. There is always something going on.
- It’s got food. The French know how to cook and how to eat. It is an art and you learn to appreciate great food, and great restaurant experiences. A few of my favorites : Pavillon Montsouris (if you want to eat in a park), Le Dome (if you like fish), Les Ombres (on top of Branley museum if you want to eat looking out on the Eiffel Tower), Je The…me (Je t’aime) or Bistro Thoumieuxfor a typical bistrot, La Plage Parisienne on the Seine, looking at the Eiffel Tower, for something “in” and “hip”.
- It is culturally rich. The number of museums, theaters and things to do is phenomenal. Orsay museum, the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, the Marais district, the Left bank, Sacre Coeur.
At the same time, this past week Paris was home to horror, terrorism, uncomprehensible killings. The supermarket where hostages were taken is 3 miles from where I live. I live 2 minutes from a kosher supermarket, a place that my kids walk by every.single.day on their way to school.
I love my city and I hate to see things like this happen. Here or anywhere in the world. My heart goes out to the friends and family of the victims, to all the Parisians, French people and foreigners who live in this city and this country. There are no words to describe what happened.
Je suis Charlie. I am Charlie.