I am linking up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What, and Mar at Mar on the Run for this week’s Friday Five, which is a theme related to fitness. So I took the opportunity of today’s Friday Five to look back at how my running has evolved.
I have been running over 10 years now. As with any relationship, there have been ups and downs, changes and evolutions. Although not severe, I have had most typical running injuries, great runs, crappy runs, fantastic race experiences and some that I would rather forget.
I am currently at a really good place with my running so I wanted to look at how it has evolved over the years, and the “why” behind my current state of mind / physical condition.
1. More warm up, stretching and core reinforcement. I strongly believe this has helped me ward off injury. Before I just used to get up and run but now I faithfully do a dynamic warm up, stretch regularly and work those ab muscles.
2. More structure. I had reached a state I would qualify as bore out. Same distances, same routes, same speeds. Since I set some goals and started working with a training plan about a year ago, not only have I gotten my mojo back but this has helped me reach new objectives and new race distances. My first half marathon was less than a year ago, my first marathon is in 4 weeks.
3. More attention to what I eat. When I eat well, fuel my body with whole foods and am hydrated, I run better. Period. Protein + veggies + rice is very typical of my meals.
4. Less music. I have stopped running with music. I used to run on the treadmill, but now that I run primarily outside, I love the sounds of the city, nature, my breathing and my feet hitting the ground. I am much more in tune to how I feel.
5. Less pressure. I may have trouble hitting the speeds I used to hit but I am OK with that. Once I took a little pressure off myself, running was less about being a chore and more about pleasure and minor milestones.
What has changed in your fitness / running routine over the years ?