I started training for my first marathon a month ago, so here are five thoughts or observations about the past four weeks, which I not only survived but thrived upon.
Five things about month one of marathon training :
1. I am proud that I have faithfully followed my training plan : three to four runs a week with various cross training. I took advantage of the great fall weather and only had to do one treadmill run.
2. I love that I have run 3 to 4 times a week completely pain free. Not to say that my shin does not tighten once in a while and I do get a niggle in and around my right knee once in a while, but I can confirm there has been no pain.
3. I learned how much nutrition and proper fueling influence performance. I had a really crappy week 2 because I ate poorly, but was glad for the experience.
4. Getting up early to run before work is completely possible and do-able with my schedule. If I am up at 7 and out by 7:30 I can still be to work around 9.
5. I successfully used the Galloway Run / walk / run method to run the Vincennes Half Marathon. I am following his training plan but had never used the method on such a long distance. Learned a lot with that race too.
Not sure what the next 2 weeks will be like because I have a lot of travel, so I foresee more hotel treadmill runs in my near future.
Are you training for a race this month ? What did you like or learn ? Any advice for me ?