Hello everyone and hope your weekend is starting off great. I am linking up, albeit a day late, with Courtney, Mar and Cynthia for this week’s Friday Five : Fueling for Fitness.
When I first saw the theme, I thought hmmmm, do I do anything specific before a race ? Do I do anything specific when I get home from a workout ? And the answer is no, not really.
But I do have some general fueling habits that help me feel my best and feel healthy.
1. Protein at breakfast. In France, many people eat bread for breakfast, but I have cut out a lot of refined flour from my diet, so I changed my breakfast to either eggs, or protein pancakes (made with almond flour or coconut flour). My breakfast habits have evolved over the years as I understand what works better for my body. Protein keeps me full until lunch.
2. Water. I used to have a serious diet coke and coffee addiction. I have replaced it with water. Preferably cold. I saw a college friend this week and that was one of the first things he mentioned… ” you used to drink a TON of Diet Coke”. Yup. Not any more though. And I am down to 2 cups of coffee a day.
3. Whole foods. I cut out the majority of packaged goods from my diet. 80% is probably whole foods.
4. Cut back on hidden and added sugar. I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox from Diane Sanfilippo . It helped me realize how much added sugar is in what we eat. I had not been adding sugar to my coffee or yogurt for a long time, but I have cut it out even more. I now even bake with practically no sugar. Your body gets used to it, believe me. Since cutting back I sleep so much better.
5. Indulge. Life is too short to go without wine or ice cream.
These fueling habits have changed over the years, but by eating this way I have seen an increase in my energy (and I already had a lot), I sleep better, my blood sugar level is stable and my digestive system generally works well.
Thanks to our hosts !
What is your favorite indulgence ?