Saturday already! How was your week ? We have a four day weekend here in France, so I am looking forward to taking full advantage of it.
This week’s Friday Five Theme is staying healthy during the holidays.
Many thanks to our hosts for this very relevant topic!
Indeed, In France we do not have Halloween nor Thanksgiving, so the Holiday season is really December. I always seem to start the new year in a blah state… feeling lethargic and bloated after Christmas and New Year’s, but this awareness (and the fact I do not like feeling this way), let’s me anticipate. So, here is how I stay healthy :
1. Be prepared ! Detox BEFORE the season starts, in November. Last year I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox by Diane Sanfilippo and it was fantastic. It cuts out all sugar and sweet foods, anything transformed (bread, cookies, pasta, etc.) and you fill up on protein, good carbs and healthy fats. I felt so great and had so much energy that it motivated me to keep up healthy habits during the holiday season. I am considering starting another one.
2. Be reasonable ! Portion control. There are so many yummy recipes, but calories add up very fast. So I do not limit myself, but try to serve myself only once, and in small amounts. Life is too short to go without wine or dessert !
3. Be focused ! Continue to stay active. With the holiday parties, travelling and schedules that change, I make sure to plan ahead and get in my exercise.
4. Be sneaky ! Reduce sugar in recipes. You would be surprised that you can cut the sugar in half in most recipes and no one EVER notices.
5. Don’t feel badly ! If I have left overs, or people give me food, I either freeze it or throw it away. I don’t leave it on the counter because if it is there, I eat it. Out of sight, out of mind. (Sorry to those who give me food, but yes, I often throw it out !)
Here are some other links you might enjoy with some great ideas :
Have a great weekend everyone !