This week’s theme is fitness trends I would never try. I struggled a bit with the theme because I think I would try just about anything… if it were available in France and convenient for me to get to. When I was younger, I said I would never run, but have been for over 10 years. I hated the pool for years, and have now been going faithfully over the past 3. Over the years I have tried Step class, every kind of fitness group, Zumba, water aerobics, yoga….
The US has so many fitness trends, and many do not make their way to France. So, my twist on this week’s theme is 4 trends I would like to try, but can not due primarily lack of availability / convenience, and 1 I wouldn’t.
1. Crossfit. I think there are one or 2 Crossfit boxes in France. They are insanely expensive and inconvenient for me to get to. But everyone seems to love it and I would like to understand why so much hype.
2. Bootcamp. I have a friend in the US (Katey) who is always going and the pictures make me want to try ! Not only does she look great, but the group always seems to be having so much fun.
3. Barre / Pure barre. I have not seen this in Paris. I travel for work to the US and there is a class in the town where I go. One day !
4. A race relay, like Ragnar. There are currently 17 locations in the US so I am hopeful that it might come to France one day. Everyone seems to enjoy it.
The only trend I have no desire to try is :
5. Pole dancing. Its a shame because there is a studio right up the street from where I live… and I went on line to find a photo. Scary. Not only have seen videos where the pole detaches from the ceiling but people wear high heel shoes. That confirms that I do not want to try it !
My fitness of choice for the moment remains running. Our last group run of the season was Thursday evening…. a running store in Paris, Team Outdoor, organizes outings a couple times a month. Yesterday they gave us a tshirt and there is a contest over the summer…. we need to take a picture of ourselves wearing the tshirt in a location of our choice. In the past people have worn it snorkeling, sky diving …Hhmmm I will need to be creative if I want to win ! Any ideas ?
What fitness trends have you tried and not liked ? Fitness choice of the moment ?