This week’s theme is free, so I have decided upon Five Food & Fitness Habits that I have stopped over the years. There are many fitness trends where we jump on the bandwagon. However, with personal experience and the advances in nutrition science, we are learning every day.
Here are 5 habits or behaviors that were once a very regular part of my life, for which I have since pretty much abandoned. They just were not working for me anymore.
1. Consumption of artificial sweeteners. I used to want to avoid sugar because of their calories, so I switched to artificial sweeteners. I eventually felt they were not helping with my sugar cravings, and they are chemical, so I cut them out. I do not add any sugar or sweetener to y coffee/tea, plain yogurt, strawberries, etc. If I cook I will use sugar but cut the portions down. Its amazing how your body gets used to unsweetened food.
2. Weighing myself everyday. I used to be a scale addict. But since my weight stabilized, seeing it go up or down by a pound here and there was not very motivating and could have a negative effect on my mood. Why should a scale dictate my mood ? So I probably weigh myself once or twice a month.
3. Restricting or limiting food intake. I can not say anything is off limits because then I just want it MORE and end up overeating. So my motto is everything in moderation.
4. Counting calories. I am capable of naming how many calories are in many foods, but stopped counting a few year ago. I have no idea how many calories I consume a day. I prefer to listen to my body… is my stomach growling, am I full, am I getting enough protein, fat, fruits & veggies.
5. One kind of exercise. I overtrained a couple years back on running and it sidelined me for quite a while. I LOVED running and it was hard to not run. So I added in other kinds of exercise and fitness : yoga, pool, DVDs, weight lifting. By doing a variety of activities, my body appreciates me more. And I can still run, just not as often.
Any habit that you have abandoned over the year on your fitness journey ?