How was your week ? We had Veterans Day off, so it was a nice short work week for me.
This week’s Friday Five Theme from Mar, Cynthia and Courtney is tips for cold weather running.
Many thanks to our hosts for this topic! You can check out their blogs here :
Now it doesn’t get THAT cold in France in the winter, probably in the 30s most of the time, but cold enough to think about adapting my running routine. So here are my tips :
1. Warm up really well. I always start off with some dynamic stretching, at least 10 minutes, before going out. This includes knee bends, high knees, ankle circles, etc. I am prone to shin splints and it gets worse if I am not properly warmed up in cold weather. My shins and IT Band tighten right up in the cold.
2. Cover up hands and head. Thin gloves work great, but recently I found a new Nike hoodie, with hand covers :
3. Hydrate. Even if its not hot your body still needs water.
4. Layer up. It is always easy to take off layers, but if you go out and are not covered up enough… there is no heating up once that cold has penetrated.
5. Bring coffee if you are racing. With crappy conditions, nothing tastes better than a VERY HOT DRINK when its over.
And because healthy living is not only about food or fitness, check out my recent post on healthy relationships.
How do you stay warm when the weather turns cold and you want to run outside ?