Today’s theme is Race Day Surprises….
I don’t really like surprises. I am one of those people that obsessively plan, anticipate and organize in advance. I prefer going to a race with a little bit of knowledge about what to expect. So, here is how I AVOID race day surprises :
1. Think ahead about how you are going to get there and where you are going to park. Allow for extra time because it is always better to be early and sit in your car for half an hour rather than arriving at the race start, hurried and out of breath.
2. Check out the race map and elevation. In order to manage your energy and pace, it helps knowing where the hills are and where you need to go.
3. Bring extra clothes in case it is cold, windy or rainy. Its always easy to take clothes off if you are warm. Starting a race cold and shivering is not fun.
4. Fuel with what your body knows. Do not change your diet the few days leading up to the race and avoid overcharging your system with alcohol or sugar. I find my best races have been when I cut out the excess sugar and gluten in the week prior. My body performs better. My go to breakfast is always the same !
5. Prepare ! Lay your clothes out the night before and double check that your phone / watch / iPod is charged. Nothing worse leaving for a race and realizing you watch is out of battery. You wouldn’t want to miss that PR !
The worse surprise I have ever had is managing the crowds. In Paris we have races with over 30 000 people, and I always forget how crowded that can make the subway and the small streets when you are trying to get to the race start. This is why I always allow for extra time !
What was your worse race surprise ?