Hello everyone ! I have been MIA this week because we are on vacation in the Basque Region in the South West part of France, right near Spain & the Pyrenees mountains. I have been busy ! But more of that in some vacation recap posts. Today is about “a day in the life”, so I figured I would do a day in the life while on vacation.
Here are 5 highlights of today, which is very similar to every other day this week :
1. 8 a.m. Wake up, feed the cat (yes, we brought him with us on vacation). I am not at all hungry because we went out to dinner last night. But I am dying for coffee. Everyone else is sleeping, so I go down to the restaurant and have 2 cups of coffee while reading the local paper. I haven’t read or seen the news all week, so I get caught up and look at the activities going on during the weekend.
2. 9 a.m. Go back to the room. Everyone still sleeping deeply, so I decide to go for a run. There is a coastal path I would like to explore. A short run turns into 12 +km. Gorgeous views, lots of hills, lots of runners. I feel proud to be part of the runner community, no matter where you go, runners all look and act the same.
I could keep running but since I did not eat this morning, I am afraid of hitting a wall. On the way back my watch goes dead. I guess that is a sign that I should be heading back.
3. 11 a.m. Back to the room. I have thought through what the day’s options are. On vacation, we don’t plan ahead too much, a lot of it depends on weather and what we feel like. I am the one that usually does the planning though. So I give everyone 3 options. We decide to head to St. Sebastian in Spain. We drive to Hendaye, leave the car and take a short, 30 minute train ride to Spain. Luckily its not too hot or sightseeing would have been awful. We have tapas and walk around admiring the sights and view.
4. 6 p.m. Back in Hendaye. There is a Basque festival this evening, and we have friends on vacation here this week also. Should we meet at the beach ? Go to the festival? Everyone is pooped, so we head home.
5. 7:30 p.m. Discussion about where to have dinner. We are staying in a hotel and meal times have been really hard for me. I do so much cooking at home that eating out 3 times a day is just killing me. We decide to go to McDonald’s. Yuck. But at least I can get a salad, and I have to be flexible. My family is tired of us buying a meal a day in the supermarket (where I can get some ham & cheese, fruit and yogurt). Its all about compromise…
After dinner we pack, I do my toenails and we discuss tomorrow’s organization. We are off to Arcachon, a little further north. It has been a great week (except the eating out !)
When you are on vacation do you like to eat out ? Do you get up much later than usual ?