We recently spent 2 weeks in Florida on vacation. This is the third time I have been here with my kids, and every time I am so pleased by this choice of destination. There is absolutely something for everyone.
My parents rent a house for 2 months and we stayed with them. Renting a house always has so many advantages :
- Space. I do not feel cramped like I do in a hotel room. Everyone has their room and personal space.
- A kitchen. You can cook your own food and it saves you money.
- Pool. You actually do not feel obliged to go anywhere because there is something to do at the house.
- Neighborhood. This is great for daily walks.
- It is a real family option. Besides my parents, my brother & sister in law came for a few days, as did my aunt. We had fun eating together, playing cards, and laughing. For sightseeing and visits, everyone does what they want.
There are things to do for everyone :
- Shopping. Between malls, premium outlets and areas like Downtown Disney, there is so much choice.
- Amusement parks. We have done several in the past and so this time around we told our children we would do ONE. We choose Universal, for Harry Potter and the thrill rides, as my kids LOVE roller coasters.
- Kennedy Space Center. We hadn’t been for 6 years and it has been really built up. It is quite expensive to get it, 50 dollars a person, but worth it. Plan on spending at least half a day.
- Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg
The only thing that I was not over the top about is eating out. But that’s another post !
Of course, the weather in February is pretty great too. We did have few overcast days, and it was even close to freezing two days, but it was better than the cold rain we had in France.
The one thing I would have done differently : planned to do a Disney race. The Princess Half Marathon took place the weekend we were there and I would have LOVED to take part, but I realized it way too late.
Also be forewarned that doing anything is expensive. A day of four at Universal is 500 dollars. The Salvador Dali museum is 24 dollars per person. Cape Canaveral is 50 dollars a person. Which why having a house is great, you don’t have to go somewhere every single day.