I have recently received a lot of positive feedback on my posts around France, and life here, so today I thought I would talk about my experience about work life.
- Close to 80% of French women work. There are many day care options and government subsidies that allow them to do so.
- For those with an office job, many women work 4 out of 5 days. Because children historically did not go to school on Wednesdays, women would work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, to be at home with their child on hump day. The school system has recently changed, and now there is school on Wednesday morning, but many women still have that day off.
- France is known for a ”35 hour work week”. My only comment is… NOT. I have never worked 35 hours, I always work between 40 and 50. To compensate, we have extra days off known as RTT (Reduction du Temps de Travail = Reduction in Working time). Simply put, it is extra vacation days.
- In Paris, most people travel 45 minutes to an hour to get to work. I am lucky that I live near my job so without traffic, it is a 10 or 12 minute drive. With traffic ? 25 to 45 minutes….
- France is generally a dressy country, and most people dress up except for Fridays. However, no flip flops but nice jeans. Ties for men are quite rare.
Tell me something about your job !