Ever wonder why we stick with healthy living ? what keeps us motivated to regularly choose veggies over French fries or a more often run rather than sitting on the couch ?
I don’t talk much about my job but I am in an industry that I love, and have loved since day one. I am still motivated when I get up in the morning to work and have been for almost 18 years. Motivation keeps us striving to be better, seek solutions and challenge ourselves, even if things get tough.
I recently made a list of why I like my job : variety, its challenging, my colleagues, international environnement, everyday is different, it has offered me opportunities, I can take initiatives. When I looked back at it, I immediately saw the parallel with the reasons that have kept me motivated to maintain a healthy life style over the past 15 years.
- Variety : important so that boredom does not set in. The gym, running on a treadmill, step aerobics, DVDs, workouts from blogs, low impact aerobics, weights, biking, running outside, swimming, water aerobics, yoga…building my exercise routine around different activities not only prevents boredom but also works muscles differently. Muscles like variety also.
- It challenges me and pushes me out of my comfort zone : I started water aerobics two years ago. My husband goes to the pool every week and has for years. He always encouraged me to go and try. I hate(d) the pool and always had. After much encouragement (5 years or so) I finally signed up for a water aerobics class. And I LOVE it. It’s a different kind of workout, gentler but tough and it makes my body feel different than the gym. So glad that I tried it. Same thing with push ups :
- My colleagues / the people I work with : Healthy living and exercise has allowed me to meet people that I normally would not have, people who share the same love and interests as I do. At work there are 50 of us who run the Parisienne, a woman’s road race every September. People that I don’t usually work with or see that I have connected with due to running.
- International : I am inspired by everything that goes on in the US and France, and feel I am influenced by the best of both worlds.
- Every day is different : every workout is different, every meal and how it makes me feel is different. I have learned to listen to my body, and give it what it needs on a given day. Even if its ice-cream !
- It has offered me opportunities : having a healthy lifestyle has given me the opportunity to take care of my mind, body and I am sure I will live longer for it.
- I can take initiatives : I find that exercise and clean eating are more often a guideline and you can adapt them to your own personality. There is not one rule that really needs to be followed. Healthy eating, but with a little bit of wine and chocolate thrown in !
And overall, whether it is work or healthy living, both should make you feel good about yourself.
Motivation comes from within. Circumstances can be motivating or not motivating, but finally, its you and only you who fuels your motivation. Find what motivates you in your job, in your volunteering, with your kids, in your relationships and draw the parallel to healthy living and lifestyle…. You might be surprised how similar they can be.
Have a great day !
You might also like :