In May and June the farmer’s markets in France are overflowing with seasonal fruit. There is so much (too much ?!) choice. I generally try to buy fruit that is in season, because finding strawberries in the middle of winter conveys something unnatural. Of course “seasonal” is relative, depending upon where you live. I have a list that I keep in my kitchen for easy reference.
It is hard to choose just one or two, so here is the list of my top 10 favorites :
- Strawberries. There are many different varieties, I love them all. Garigette, Fraise des Bois, Mara des Bois… big or small, I am not picky.
- Raspberries. On the expensive side, but great to mix in with strawberries for a fruit salad.
- Yellow nectaries (definitely prefer more than white nectarines).
- Melon (Charentaise).
- Apples, but I am picky about the variety. Tentation or Pink Lady preferably.
- Pineapple, but only if its really good
- Mango. Unfortunately this has to be imported, but it is still to die for.
Fruit I like but difficult to find in France : blueberries. I am from Maine and grew up surrounded by blueberries. They are hardly available here, and if I find them, they are often frozen. When they thaw they are covered in juice. Just not real Maine blueberries.
Fruit I eat but am not a fan of, either for taste (lack of), or because it’s too much work :
- Pears : NO taste and often cottony
- Oranges / clementines : I like them but hate to peel them
- Grapes : in France they all have seeds, which annoys me
- Papaya. Not sure why.
- Litchi – the consistency reminds me of eyeballs
- Grapefuit. I hate cutting it up.
- Peaches : I love the taste but it drives me nuts to peel them and I refuse to eat fuzzy skin. Often they are cottony.
- Apricot. They are often cottony or too acidic.
Here is the recipe of one of my favorite fruity desserts :
- Mix any red fruit, I usually do strawberries and raspberries
- Top with a little whip cream, yogurt or a bit of vanilla ice cream
- Crumble up either meringue or speculos cookies and top the dessert – it adds crunch and a bit of sweetness.
What is your favorite fruit ? Do you eat the fuzzy peach skin ?