I fully enjoyed the summer. Without one ounce of guilt for the wine with dinner, the ice cream, the before dinner appetizers, dessert at restaurants, tried ALL the food in Greece…. I indulged, was eating too much, and seriously loved every minute of it.
Well, loved everything except the resulting bloat and poor digestion.
I finished vacation August 15th and knew the next few weeks would mean less work travel, more routine with back to school and with marathon training. So, I figured there was never going to be a better time to clean up my diet.
Firstly, let me just say that I can not ”do a diet”. I know there is no short term fix, magical pill, or overnight solution. I also eat very healthy in general. But I felt I needed a reset, so cleaning up my diet is about weeding out those (too frequent) indulgences, eating whole foods, cutting out everything processed and eating a bit less. Yeah, that pretty much sums up what I have been doing.
So mid August I started and have been fully dedicated to a 6 week carb cycling program (which I will talk about a later date, once finished), but in short, it is associating what you eat with the kind of workout you do that day.
5 things about my adventure so far :
- I focus on what I CAN have. The summer fruit and veggies season is still in full swing. Nectarines, melon, peppers, tomatoes, avocado, broccoli, spinach, lean protein, eggs, sweet potato, nuts…. I have not once felt deprived.
- I plan ahead. I do not necessarily plan my meals, but I buy a ton of fruit and veggies on the weekend, and also make big meals so I will have left overs all week. I bring a bag of nuts to work with me.
- It is a great learning experience. I log everything in My Fitness Pal. I was never a big fan of the app but surprisingly, I have learned a ton about macros and balancing my food intake. It also details the macros in your meals.
- It is not 100% clean. I am using 85% dark chocolate and Diet Coke as my 2 guilty pleasures.
- I have avoided all gluten, dairy, alcohol, pre packaged foods and my downfall… ice cream.
The result ? Whatever I am doing is working. While I haven’t weighed myself (I am not a fan of the scale), I can confirm that I have lost major belly fat and back fat. All my pants, skirts, dresses and tops fit so much better. Nothing is snug.
I am eating less, but I have found I can actually survive and function very well on less food.
I can not say it has affected my energy or sleep because I already had a ton of energy, and never really have sleeping issues, but my mind is so much clearer.
And my workouts have felt stronger. This summer I was having some niggles with the change of routine, but now that I have had 4 weeks of discipline, adding in some new workouts in addition to my marathon training, I physically feel AMAZING.
So, for the moment, I will stop there as my 6 week adventure is not finished, but so far, so good.
What do you do to clean up your diet ?
Ever tried carb cycling ?