When I see my dad, who is in great health, happy and enjoying retirement, not only am I inspired but very reassured that I will also be able to age well. When I look at my dad’s lifestyle, here are habits or behaviors that have lead him to where he is today :
- Exercise the body at least 6 days a week. Walking, golf, weights, stretching. I think there is something for everyone, no matter your interests or age.
- Exercise the mind daily. Books. Sudoku. Games. Cards. My dad doesn’t have a smartphone and while he does have an iPad, I think more time is spent off the iPad than on.
- Everything in moderation but indulge often. Those small pleasures are important.
- Nap regularly ! He has never had any issues sleeping or napping, probably because of the healthy lifestyle.
- Foster friendships and spend time with family. Brothers & sisters, golfing buddies, neighbors (and my mom!)… building that support system is important.
Happy birthday dad ! I want to be just like you when I grow up.
Any life lessons you have learned from your parents ?