I am finishing day 6 of the 21 day sugar detox. So far so good. Here is a recap of the week.
What I’ve been eating :
- For breakfast, my typical go to recipe, protein pancackes. Right now I am loving almond meal pancakes. I top them with almond butter and half a banana. Grain flours are not allowed on the detox, but I have so gotten used to almond or coconut flour, I prefer them.
- Lunch or dinner is always protein and a veggie : fish, lamb or steak, coupled with cauli rice, green beans or mixed veggies – depends what is available
- “Dessert” is not really dessert, but I do finish my meals with either some hard cheese, or a yogurt with mashed banana, topped with some nuts / seeds
- Snacks : pistachios or piece of fruit
… all of this is part of the “yes foods list”
Foods from the no list I have eaten : small piece of bread.
What I have not had to eat or drink, that I usually do : no glass of wine with lunch or dinner on the weekend, no ice cream, no croissant at a work meeting, no bread at the table, nothing chocolate.
How I’ve been feeling
- Even tempered, no mood swings
- Positive : lot’s of energy (I was up at 5:30 this morning instead of 7 a.m.)
- Motivated : my body feels great
- Not tempted by sugar – best feeling of all
- Rested : sleep is very sound
- Was bloated all week ; only today things got a bit better
Exercise : I have exercised three times over the past week, and have not seen any changes (more or less energy / harder or easier).
- Saturday : 60 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights / abs
- Sunday : 10k run
- Tuesday : 30 minutes weights / abs
Recipes I have tried from the 21DSD Cookbook.
- Cauli-rice : shredded cauliflower with onions, garlic, cilantro, curry. You can prepare ahead, it goes great with all meat and scrambled eggs.
- The first time I did the detox I did much more experimentation, and this time around I have been sticking with recipes I know. Not because I don’t want to try other things, but I haven’t been able to cook much.
Advice : preparation is key. I make a big batch in advance, to be sure I have go to foods available. Unfortunately I had not planned my lunch well, and all I ate was a tuna sandwich (without the bread), yogurt and apple. Not enough to hold me over and I got really hungry. Luckily I had some pistachios. My batch of pancakes :
Outlook going into week 2 : feeling upbeat and motivated to do this.
As compared to the first time around : first time was harder the first week. I went off plan a couple times, either because of circumstance or strong cravings. Even if I did not beat myself up over it, this time around I wanted to stick with it completely.
How was your first week of the detox ? What did you eat most of on the yes foods list ?