In preparation for Paris Marathon 2016 (although yes, I do realize it is more than 8,5 months away), I am documenting what I am doing each month to anticipate and experiment, or highlight things I have bought or learned. If you missed my first 2 recaps, you can find them here :
Since mid June I have been extremely busy with work and with my kids. School was getting out, my daughters had all of those end of school year activities, they were getting ready to head to the States and I did a ton of traveling for work. Although I did manage to get in a lot of running / exercise, I didn’t have much time to do anything particular in anticipation for my marathon.
Some things I did this past month :
1. Continued to experiment with the Jeff Galloway run / walk / run method. I have mentioned before that this philosophy resonates with me. So, I have been doing some long runs and trying out different run / walk ratios. So far, this is what is working for me :
- The first 20 minutes : at a 3 minute walk / 2 minute run, then 3 minute run / 2 minute walk. (My body always needs a good 15 to 20 minutes to warm up)
- From about 20 minutes to 60 minutes I do 3 minute run / 1 minute walk
- Then for the remaining time, 4 minute run / 1 minute walk
So far I have been able to run 2 hours, pain free (during and after).
2. I tried some new running clothes / invested in some equipment.
Everyone seems to be talking about Feetures socks, but I can not find them in France. On one of my recent trips to the US, I found them in a small running store in NJ. I LOVE them. My only regret is that I didn’t buy more than one pair.
Handheld water bottle. Boy, am I loving this. Not only does it have a water bottle, but there is a small pocket for my phone / a snack / car keys…. This is a GREAT find.
Sneakers on sale ! I found my running sneakers half price off. So I bought a second pair… hoping my 2 pairs will get me through my training & the marathon.
Nuun ! wow, this stuff is great. I have been using it after all my runs and stocked up when I went to the US (I can not get it in France either !)
3. For personal accountability and motivation, I have faithfully been using my Believe.Training Journal… tracking my training, feelings, setting weekly objectives. I love it.
5. Twice went out with a running group, Team Outdoor Paris. A running store near me has outings a couple times a month, so I joined. Too early to say how I feel about running with a group, but it is a ton of fun.
Total mileage past month : 148 km
My goals for the rest of July & August :
1. Plan out my weekly runs. I would like to be more regular and try to anticipate when and what exercise I will do. I would like to start slowly building up frequency and mileage.
2. I would like to lose up to 5 pounds. Over the past couple years I have put on some weight around my middle and I figure if I want to take it off, it is probably best to do that before marathon training starts in October. I eat very cleanly, but with summer & vacation mode… a few too many appetizers, happy hours or ice creams seems to populate my days.
3. Plan my fall race schedule. While I have started this, I need to finish / fine tune.
4. Stretch more regularly. I probably do this 65% of the time, but should do 100% of the time and for at least 10 minutes.
5. Add more interval training / speed work.
Are you training for a fall marathon ? What advice would you give me for my first ?